[oe] git and dir

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Thu Aug 14 07:41:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 01:33 +0200, Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> It has always been possible to shoot yourself in the foot with OE.  I
> believe the opportunities will rise with the introduction of git.  The
> reason is that AFAIU, with mtn there was a 1:1 relation between checkout
> dir and upstream branch.  This information was recorded in _MTN/options.
>   git does not have this restriction.  One can freely add remote
> branches to an existing checkout with "git remote add" and switch to
> them with "git checkout $branch".  This can easily corrupt tmp/ and I
> fear it will happen quite often.  I wonder if there is anything
> OE/bitbake can do to alleviate the pain.

What's the specific corruption that you're worried about?  Any change
which is truly incompatible in TMPDIR ought to result in a change to
SANITY_ABI which will be automatically detected.  Smaller changes ought
not to cause any real problem in the first place.

I'm also not convinced that the operations you mention here with git are
not already possible with monotone.  Isn't this basically what "monotone
update -b BRANCH" does?

Maybe you could give a concrete example of the kind of operation that
you think is going to get users into trouble.

p.