[oe] git and dir

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Thu Aug 14 12:02:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 13:45 +0200, Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> Phil Blundell wrote:
> > What's the specific corruption that you're worried about?
>
> Maybe my worries are unfounded and that would be great.  I was thinking
> that building for a certain distribution but changing the checked out
> repo underneath its feet back and forth could eventually result in
> incompatible stuff getting into TMPDIR and particularly staging.  Think
> switching between dev, stable, openmoko and some of its variant and
> building stuff in between.  I don't think it is too far-fetched to worry
> this might lead to some incompatabilities in what is under TMPDIR.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "incompatibilities".

If you start switching between branches like that then, obviously, the
binaries that you create are liable to contain a mismatch of things and
might not be entirely compatible with any of the branches.  For example,
if I check out the dev tree, build glibc from that, then switch to
stable and start trying to build some other packages then I will
probably end up with a dependency on a version of glibc that doesn't
exist in stable.  But this has always been the case and the answer is
simply "don't do that, then".

So, in summary, I don't think there's any new issue here and it doesn't
really seem that any particular action is required to address it.

p.