[oe] Best way to tune a distro and to build a toolchain for it

Valentin Longchamp valentin.longchamp at epfl.ch
Wed Dec 17 14:45:25 UTC 2008

Thank you for your answer Koen.

Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 17-12-08 15:08, Valentin Longchamp wrote:
>> We have designed a processor board in our laboratory that we are going
>> to use to control our robots for experiments. The board is now supported
>> in OE (mx31moboard machine) and I am very happy to be able to build a
>> Linux distro for our board thank to OE.
>>
>> Until now I have used the Angstrom distro with success. Now since my use
>> is mostly going to be for a robot with no screen (and of course no
>> PIM/agenda, games and these kinds of things) I have always built a
>> console-image. However now I would like to add some packages by default
>> in the images that I want to build for our robot (for instance hal is
>> needed by one of our softs, I would like it to be included by default).
>>
>> I could do this by adding these packages in the MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS
>> variable in the machine config file, but I think this is more a distro
>> question.
>
> No, it's image question. Stuff that goes into an image is an image
> question. I have multiple devices without a screen and use angstrom on
> it without troubles. There's absolutely no need for yet another distro.

OK. Sorry, there are still some concepts in OE that are a little bit
opaque to me. But I agree, it's definitely an image question. I want an
image that would fit my needs.

>> To summarize: what would be the best way to create a "robotic version"
>> of angstrom in OE ?
>
> Create tasks and images for it. There's absolutely no need for yet
> another distro.

Of course I don't want to create yet another distro. That's what I meant
by "tuning". But the correct concepts were tasks and an image for for
this task.

--
Valentin Longchamp, PhD Student, EPFL-STI-LSRO1
valentin.longchamp at epfl.ch, Phone: +41216937827