[oe] Best way to tune a distro and to build a toolchain for it

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Wed Dec 17 14:32:11 UTC 2008

On 17-12-08 15:08, Valentin Longchamp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have designed a processor board in our laboratory that we are going
> to use to control our robots for experiments. The board is now supported
> in OE (mx31moboard machine) and I am very happy to be able to build a
> Linux distro for our board thank to OE.
>
> Until now I have used the Angstrom distro with success. Now since my use
> is mostly going to be for a robot with no screen (and of course no
> PIM/agenda, games and these kinds of things) I have always built a
> console-image. However now I would like to add some packages by default
> in the images that I want to build for our robot (for instance hal is
> needed by one of our softs, I would like it to be included by default).
>
> I could do this by adding these packages in the MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS
> variable in the machine config file, but I think this is more a distro
> question.

No, it's image question. Stuff that goes into an image is an image
question. I have multiple devices without a screen and use angstrom on
it without troubles. There's absolutely no need for yet another distro.

> To summarize: what would be the best way to create a "robotic version"
> of angstrom in OE ?

Create tasks and images for it. There's absolutely no need for yet
another distro.

> The second question is about toolchains. This platform is going to be
> used by many other labs that are going to use our robots or at least our
> hardware. I would like to be able to build a "sdk" for them, with all
> the libs that we include by default in their sdk (because I already fear
> all the mechanical engineers that would have to build OE ...). I can
> build meta-toolchain, but how could I tune a toolchain so that it
> includes for instance all the headers for the libs that I would add in
> my "robotic version" of anstrom ?

Have a look at meta-sdk*.bb, that shows how you can install packages
into a toolchain.

regards,

Koen