[oe] Best way to tune a distro and to build a toolchain for it

Valentin Longchamp valentin.longchamp at epfl.ch
Wed Dec 17 14:08:12 UTC 2008

Hello,

We have designed a processor board in our laboratory that we are going
to use to control our robots for experiments. The board is now supported
in OE (mx31moboard machine) and I am very happy to be able to build a
Linux distro for our board thank to OE.

Until now I have used the Angstrom distro with success. Now since my use
is mostly going to be for a robot with no screen (and of course no
PIM/agenda, games and these kinds of things) I have always built a
console-image. However now I would like to add some packages by default
in the images that I want to build for our robot (for instance hal is
needed by one of our softs, I would like it to be included by default).

I could do this by adding these packages in the MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS
variable in the machine config file, but I think this is more a distro
question.

To summarize: what would be the best way to create a "robotic version"
of angstrom in OE ?

The second question is about toolchains. This platform is going to be
used by many other labs that are going to use our robots or at least our
hardware. I would like to be able to build a "sdk" for them, with all
the libs that we include by default in their sdk (because I already fear
all the mechanical engineers that would have to build OE ...). I can
build meta-toolchain, but how could I tune a toolchain so that it
includes for instance all the headers for the libs that I would add in
my "robotic version" of anstrom ?

Thank you for your help.

Val

--
Valentin Longchamp, PhD Student, EPFL-STI-LSRO1
valentin.longchamp at epfl.ch, Phone: +41216937827