[oe] [RFC] collapse commits in branches to easy review

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Wed Dec 17 21:19:04 UTC 2008

Koen Kooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to propose that when people want to have a branch reviewed for
> merging that has a lot of commits (e.g. more than 30) that the commits
> get 'collapsed' to one diff per recipe/directory or per functional
> change. Collapsing it would be something like:
>
> git diff .dev .merges | diffsplit
>
> and then writing a simple script that cats the remaing files together
> based on directory (e.g. awk -F- {if $1==$2 then cat file to $3.diff)}.
> The diffsplit script can be found at [1].
>
> If you have a functional change (e.g. like PR -> FILEPR) that can of
> course stay in one diff.
>
> If review branches get organized like this we can more easily review
> them and suggest changes.
>
> We will loose some history this way, but branches can get merged faster
> and it would stop huge piles of crap going in, which IMO outweighs the
> downsides.
>
> Big branches CANNOT be merged without proper review, but I don't think
> anyone wants to review a few hundred commits :/
>
> So, what do you think about this?

Basically, I also agree with Koen. Sadly, my git skillz are not good
enough to understand how much of a burden this is on people. I've been
saving this article which seems to cover the topic also:

http://www.andrewmoore.com/public/index.php/My_git_workflow

I promise to try and do enough work to have to collapse some patches for
merging :)

Philip