[oe] RFD: is bitbake 1.8.10 minimum supported standard? (was: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev anki: fix parse error)

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Feb 15 16:41:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 17:11 +0100, Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> Mike (mwester) wrote:
> > Requiring a bitbake upgrade to accommodate a
> > single-line in a single recipe that can easily be expressed in a fashion
> > compatible with the existing bitbake versions installed, well that just
> > seem to fly in the face of that earlier discussion.
>
> Well, seen from that angle that seems to hold.  But that was not my
> angle and I hope I was not being mistaken in this regard.
>
> IIRC bitbake 1.8.10 has quite many bug fixes as well (RP?).  So, that is
> more what I was getting at.  AFAIK, .dev and bitbake were meant to be
> closely coupled.  IOW, don't run bleeding edge .dev with an old bitbake
> and expect things to work.
>
> I am open to extend the time until 1.8.8 is officially dead for .dev
> What do others think about this question of timing?

Yes, 1.8.10 has lots of other fixes and improvements and I'd like to
see .dev switch to it at some point. Once we do that there are some
simplifications of code in OE.dev that can be made too.

I appreciate the bitbake 1.8.6 -> 1.8.8 change was bumpy due to sqlite
but 1.8.8 -> 1.8.10 should just be a drop in replacement so I don't see
any reason not to...

Cheers,

Richard