[oe] [oe-commits] org.oe.dev classes/kernel.bbclass: Remove usage of non-standard variables (DEPLOY_TO) and random renaming of output.

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Sun Feb 17 18:03:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 16:33 +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:07:24 +0100
> "rpurdie commit" <openembedded-commits at lists.openembedded.org> wrote:
>
> > classes/kernel.bbclass: Remove usage of non-standard variables
> > (DEPLOY_TO) and random renaming of output.
>
> Well, if it's not standard, let's make it standard.

The is absolutely no need for any new ones and I just made it conform to
existing standards. Binary output goes into DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE. It should
have a name consistent with other output that ends up there. Other
external tools are still perfectly free to change DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE and
INITRAMFS_SYMLINK_NAME as needed.

"DEPLOY_TO" just makes a mess of the consistency and efforts other
develops have made and are making.

> deliver some result to the place expected by the tool, instead of
> making tool dig in external OE structures, which are also subject to
> change, also on per-distro (-user?) level.

Most OE variables are overridable at the user, machine and distro
levels. External tools equate to the "user" and the power of OE means we
don't need any new ways to do this since we already have perfectly good
ones.

Regards,

Richard