[oe] [RFC] push those patches, push'em up

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Sun Feb 17 19:27:30 UTC 2008

Robert Schuster wrote:
> while I like the idea I wonder what we do with patches taken from other
> famous distributions.

Hi Robert,

thank you for the important question.  I guess there is not one single
answer, but I think taking patches from other distributions makes a lot
of sense.  That is where the proposed and optional "origin:"-line would
come into play.

Now what to do about "upstream:".  I guess there are two possibilities here.

1) you can establish that the patch is already pushed upstream.  Then
   all you need to do is include the URL of the bug report somebody else
   made.  You get extra kudos for making a comment in that bug report
   that OE also uses and endorses the patch.  This is the most desirable
   and thus you should search the upstream bug tracker first.
2) you cannot establish that the patch is already pushed upstream.  I'd
   say, it is best then to open a new bug report upstream, include the
   URL to it in "upstream:" and let the upstream people mark it as dupe
   should there have been another report.  Mentioning the debian origin
   should increase the likelihood of it getting applied, I assume.

I just realize now that this approach depends on debian and other
distros using public channels to push their patches upstream.  Do you
happen to know if that is usually the case?

Regards

Rolf