[oe] OE.dev roadworks notification

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Feb 19 11:14:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

At OEDEM last year and in various other discussions it was decided that
sysroot support was in OE's interests. Since then I successfully rolled
that out in Poky, I'm now in a position to do the same for OE.dev.

On a similar note, I'll be doing some work on packaged staging over the
next few weeks. Again, its been agreed that its in the interests of
OE.dev on many occasions and now I/we have a chance for action which I'm
planing to make good use of it.

Both sets of changes have the potential to break things. I will
obviously try to avoid that and endeavour to fix any breakage that does
happen as quickly as possible. I'd just ask that people keep an eye on
the commit messages and mailing list and appreciate that there may be
some instability. If your project/use of OE can't cope with the
instability and time debugging anything, just don't update or use the
stable branch!

With packaged staging one thing we need to decide whether ultimately its
something optional which people opt into, or whether having staging
under control of a package manager is something desirable at all times.
My gut feeling is that its something we should really make mandatory or
opt-out, maybe not at first but certainly longer term but I'm open to
views on that.

Note that I'm not going to RFC everything since the volume of changes
will mean we'd never get anywhere. I think the core team and other devs
trust me enough not to do anything too insane. If anyone does see
anything they don't like by all means question it on the mailing list.

As an opening salvo, I'll be updating the minimum bitbake version
requirement to 1.8.10 and removing all the compatibility code we have to
do with copyfile and file locking (packaged staging will need the
locking functions added in 1.8.10).

Cheers,

Richard