[oe] OE.dev roadworks notification

Graeme Gregory dp at xora.org.uk
Tue Feb 19 11:30:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:14:52 +0000
Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
> With packaged staging one thing we need to decide whether ultimately
> its something optional which people opt into, or whether having
> staging under control of a package manager is something desirable at
> all times. My gut feeling is that its something we should really make
> mandatory or opt-out, maybe not at first but certainly longer term
> but I'm open to views on that.

My feeling is opt-out. That way you have to read the docs to get out
and that means you have to understand why you are swimming upstream.

One of the most common problems in OE for beginners seems to be
building packages that conflict in staging. Having the no breaking
system be the default would be the best.

Graeme (XorA)