[oe] Fwd: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev gpsd: Provide working default configuration and init-script for fic-gta01. This makes gpsd device-specific for gta01, please check the feeds.

Matthias Hentges oe at hentges.net
Tue Jan 1 20:09:25 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, den 01.01.2008, 21:42 +0200 schrieb Paul Sokolovsky:
> Hello Matthias,
>
> Tuesday, January 1, 2008, 8:49:57 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Hey there.
>
> > Am Dienstag, den 01.01.2008, 19:03 +0200 schrieb Paul Sokolovsky:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >>       Working default configuration should go to ${PN}-conf or
> >> something, like most of OE does, and few remaining uncomplying packages are
> >> being converted. This helps with build, QA, and release management. Thanks.
> >>

> > could you please point me to a sample package with acceptable
> > integration of -conf? I'd rather _not_ do this a third time.
>
>   mplayer & mplayer-common by you are good examples. mplayer-common so
> far is not machine-specific, but if we'll *really* find it beneficial
> to make it so, we're all set for that. keylaunch & keylaunch-conf are
> another recent refactor, by me, with keylaunch-conf being actually
> per-machine.
>
>   I see where current problem lies with the code you committed - in
> snippet like this:
>
> +# gpsd This shell script starts and stops gpsd.
> []
> +       if test -e /home/root/gllin/gllin
> +       then
> +               /home/root/gllin/gllin >/var/log/gllin.log 2>&1 &
> +       else
> +               echo -e "\n\ngllin GPS driver for Neo1973 not found,"
> +               echo "please install the gllin package from"
> +               echo "http://3rdparty.downloads.openmoko.org/gllin/"
> +               echo ""
> +               exit 1
> +       fi
>
>   So, one thing is device-specific conf, another way is generic gpsd's
> device-specific service init. But that's why it would be nice if we
> adopted soft vs soft-conf split as consistent best practice - then
> snippets like above would seem to us as anomaly right away, and we'd
> think how to solve it.
>
>   The issue here that /etc/init.d/gpsd tries to init both gpsd and
> gps hardware. Why not separate them. Say, have /etc/init.d/gllin with
> that snippet.

Difficult. /e/i/gllin should, if at all, be provided by the gllin
package. It is a hand-crafted ipkg containing a binary-only driver. It
will be an interesting task to find someone at OM willing to change it.
Maybe if I annoy mickey enough... ;)

> But wait, there're different GPS hardware exists, why
> don't we make it polymorphic? So, we'd have /etc/init.d/gps-hardware,
> and that's for should would be device-specific. Then, /etc/init.d/gpsd
> could do sth like:
>
> [ -x /etc/init.d/gps-hardware ] && /etc/init.d/gps-hardware start
>
> to make sure that it ups entire GPS system.
>
>   How does that sound?

That sounds like a very good idea, I like the generic approach better
than a hard-coded init-script. I will try to get the gllin ipk changed,
but that may take a few days.

What do you think about installing /etc/default/gpsd via
update-alternatives so a driver could install proper defaults w/o
resorting to a -conf at all?

Not that many drivers are going to do this. Neo1973 is probably a very
special case in this regard.
--
Matthias 'CoreDump' Hentges
Cologne / Germany

Webmaster of Hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer
GPG ->  gpg --keyserver gpg-keyserver.de --recv-keys 0xAF3030D9

My OS: Debian SID: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice