[oe] large uImage size

Risto Pajula risto at wapice.com
Sun Jan 13 15:18:55 UTC 2008

Hello.

I am getting very large kernel image size (~4,5 MB) when using the
cross-compiler built with a recent version of openembedded. Normal kernel
image size is around 1,5 MB. The large kernel image size only happens when
building the kernel outside the openembedded build environment, when building
with the normal OE build (bitbake minimal-image) the resulting kernel image
size is normal.

This has however changed in some point of OE development. If I use an old OE
snapshot and build the crosscompiler with it the resulting kernel image even
when building outside OE environment is normal. (Both however use gcc 4.1.2).

I have tried to figure what is different in the environment when building the
kernel within OE and outside it but any of the environment variables and etc.
have not solved the problem.

Does anybody know any changes in the OE which could cause this different
behaviour in the gcc cross-compiler built with it?

Machine: at91sam9263-ek.
The kernel compilation ouside OE:
make ARCH=arm
CROSS_COMPILE=/PATH_TO_OE_BUILD_DIR/tmp/cross/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-
uImage

I want to build the development kernel outside of openembedded framewok for
various reasons but use OE crosscompiler. So any help or suggestions for
figuring out why this happens would be appreciated.

BR.
Risto