[oe] Fwd: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev apm: turn off wifi cards before suspend so they are fully reloaded upon resume. closes 3664.

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Thu Jan 17 14:34:41 UTC 2008

Paul,

thank you for pointing out the problem and a template solution towards
the end of your initial rant as well.  In fact I am already working on
moving the mid-term fix into a separate package to provide an even less
intrusive mid-term fix -> http://oz.leggewie.org/wip/wifi-suspend.patch

But...

Paul Sokolovsky schrieb:
> and of course they need to be supported still, and right now. The question
> is how that is done - if it comes mixed into one big mess
                                                       ^^^^
> I don't appreciate someone moving in the opposite direction just to solve on-spot problem. OE is
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> powerful environment allowing to solve make focused, maintainable and
> reusable changes - even if they're workarounds, and people should
> learn to use them.

And I don't appreciate after I have

* fixed a real usability issue which likely strongly influences the
  perception of OE-derived distros
* consulted with a *LOT* of people on IRC and in the bug tracker over
  several days
* have put quite some time into finding an acceptable solution for
  everyone

that someone comes around who had previously been quiet on this and then
calls my work a "mess" and generally finds very unappreciative words for
what I've done and the time I've spent.

Mickey's comment

# I agree. The issue to fix is worthwile, but I would prefer seperate
# packaging as well.

sounds quite different, don't you agree?  FOSS is an incremental process.

I am willing to get this not only right for me, but to everyone's
satisfaction.  But I kindly want to ask you to consider that it is not
only what you say but also how you say it.

PS: I don't intend to and hope I did not start another flame war, but
this is important to me.