[oe] Fwd: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev apm: turn off wifi cards before suspend so they are fully reloaded upon resume. closes 3664.

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Thu Jan 17 15:09:52 UTC 2008

"Rolf Leggewie" <no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de> writes:
[snip]
> that someone comes around who had previously been quiet on this and then
> calls my work a "mess" and generally finds very unappreciative words for
> what I've done and the time I've spent.
>
> Mickey's comment
>
> # I agree. The issue to fix is worthwile, but I would prefer seperate
> # packaging as well.
>
> sounds quite different, don't you agree?  FOSS is an incremental process.
>
> I am willing to get this not only right for me, but to everyone's
> satisfaction.  But I kindly want to ask you to consider that it is not
> only what you say but also how you say it.
>
> PS: I don't intend to and hope I did not start another flame war, but
> this is important to me.

Actually, this is important to me as well.  I've deliberately distanced
myself from these discussions on the mailing lists, but I've also withheld a
number of commits for *EXACTLY* the reasons pointed out by Rolf.

My last commit was the famous 2.6.23 ixp4xx kernel recipe - I'm quite
certain everyone remembers that.  It too turned into what I've been seeing
lately on this list (and on the angstrom list).  Mickey's comment on this
thread is the sort of helpful, constructive criticism that will result in
people becoming better OE developers.  The comments by some others, however,
are the sort of comments that just result in me maintaining my own personal
set of changes to OE -- it's just easier on my blood-pressure to deal with
my own private overlay than to endure the guantlet of hyper-critical,
condescending, superiority-laden emails that have characterized some of the
past responses to my (and other's) commits.

I doubt that my contributions are of particular interest to the general
population, but I hardly suspect that I'm alone in this -- which makes it
rather probable that OE is missing some other, really valuable,
contributions from those who have just "walked away" because they fear their
bitbake recipes do not meet the level of god-like perfection demanded by a
certain small-but-very-vocal group of developers.

C'mon folks -- teach me.  Don't beat me.

JMO.  That and 10 USD will get you a cup of coffee.

Mike (mwester)