[oe] Stable source repository

Rich Pixley rich.pixley at palm.com
Tue Jul 22 19:05:24 UTC 2008

Locally, we have a comparable problem.  Not only can we not rely on
external repositories for archiving code, but given the volume of
downloads we'd be placing, we can't really even rely on external
repositories for current versions due to bandwidth constraints, (most
facilities would resent the load our company would place on their servers).

What's been done locally is to place copies of the tarchives we use into
our "sources" directory in version control.  So when we check out our
local copy of OE metadata, we also get a huge, prepopulated sources
directory.  I've also hacked all of fetching methods in our local copy
of bitbake such that any attempt to reach outside our company for source
produces a fatal error.

I don't like our solution because it make "mrproper" a problem and we
have no "mrproper" of our own.  I think a better solution would have
been for us to create a local repository aside from our source control
system.  Then people would check out OE metadata and in the process of
building, they'd fetch from the local repository.  But that would still
require hijacking the component URL's, which is ugly.

As a general solution, I think OE needs to support a chain of such
repositories and I think the OE project itself needs to create and
maintain one.  The only way to be sure that a tarchive will be available
is if you own and manage the repository yourself.  There's precedent for
this - debian source packages encapsulate the upstream source so that
the source archive is complete on it's own.  This means that the debian
repositories each contain copies of the upstream tarchives and access to
the upstream repositories only need to be accessed by debian maintainers
when creating packaging for a new version.

--rich