[oe] Stable source repository

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Tue Jul 22 19:28:42 UTC 2008

Rich Pixley wrote:

> As a general solution, I think OE needs to support a chain of such
> repositories and I think the OE project itself needs to create and
> maintain one.  The only way to be sure that a tarchive will be available
> is if you own and manage the repository yourself.  There's precedent for
> this - debian source packages encapsulate the upstream source so that
> the source archive is complete on it's own.  This means that the debian
> repositories each contain copies of the upstream tarchives and access to
> the upstream repositories only need to be accessed by debian maintainers
> when creating packaging for a new version.

I suspect that the OE project maintaining a source mirror would be out
of scope for the OE project. However, as noted by Koen, people creating
distributions for OE should maintain source mirrors. (This is needed for
long term GPL compliance).

The point that OE should make it easy to create and maintain source
mirrors is a very good point. What support exist in OE today? (I use
Angstrom, so it just works for me :)

Philip