[oe] Git Migration Status

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Wed Jul 30 15:30:38 UTC 2008

Richard Purdie wrote:
> We've made the decision we want to switch to git so what happens now? We
> now have:
>
> * Agreed policies (pending no major objections from openembedded-devel)
> * A git server setup
> * Web browsing of the git server
> * Commit hooks for CIA and email notification of commits
>
> What remains:
>
> * A final mtn -> git conversion
>   - There is a known problem with the mtn -> git conversion which needs
>     to be addressed. Holger has the details of this
>   - We also need to decide how to map the key names
> * Collection of keys for access to the git server
> * Creating a BKCVS history import and graft this onto the monotone
>   history
>   - There are some conversion defects. Richard has the details and is
>     trying to look into this
>   - We also need to decide on key name mappings, preferably consistent
>     with the git ones.
> * Rename "gittrial" -> "git" on amethyst

BTW, since I'm complaining so much about the identifiers in other
messages, I just want to say here that I really appreciate all the work
that Richard and others have put into the monotone to git transition.

I'm very excited by this transition, and have already updated the
nslu2-linux Master Makefile to use git and have begun the transition of
nslu2-linux monotone repositories to git so that we can be ready and
waiting for the OE flag day.

I look forward to the day when I can remove monotone from my laptop and
from the nslu2-linux project servers ...

Thanks to all involved!

-- Rod