[oe] Git Migration Status

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Wed Jul 30 17:32:21 UTC 2008

Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 09:07 -0400, Philip Balister wrote:
>> Otavio Salvador wrote:

>> > +1
>> >

>> I also agree. I would prefer to commit with my own address. I own all
>> the domains, so they should last as long as I do.
>
> Before we all start jumping on this wagon let me explain some of the
> background to what I proposed. I was trying to keep that announcement
> brief and it assumes some understanding of git so let me explain
> further:
>
> Git commit IDs are a totally free form fields. There is nothing stopping
> me making commit A as "Richard <rp at localhost>", commit B as "rpurdie
> rurdie at laptop" and then commit C as "Joe <someone at somewhere>". Commit A
> was my desktop, commit B was my laptop, commit C was on some account I
> borrowed.
>
> One problem with git is that its all too easy to screw up setting the
> author/commit IDs. I've done it before, I suspect I will again next time
> I change machine and I'm sure others will too intentionally or
> otherwise.
>
> Going back in time, we had the same problem with bitkeeper. Anyone
> looking through the bkcvs commit ids will see exactly what I mean -
> there are some entries in there that are totally untraceable now, e.g.
> account at 1.2.3.4

I fully understand and I share this POV. It will happen, indeed.

> Why does it matter? I'd like to be able to go to the SCM and *know* who
> made a commit (knowing who authored the patch is different). I'd like to
> be able to view all commits for a given "identity".

This will be a task for the commiters. Who is going to merge others
tree will need to be careful.

> Also note that git makes a distinction between git commit IDs and git
> author IDs. It makes sense to standardise the commit IDs and these are
> the ones I'm suggesting match a pattern like "Foo
> <id at dev.openembedded.org>". Note I'm not too bothered about the author
> IDs as long as they're valid email addresses (i.e. not localhost) and
> I'm also not bothered about the name used against the commit address
> (Foo in the above example).  That could be "Foo (@Work)" or anything
> else anyone desires as long as the id@ is valid which is what I care
> about and allows us to obtain meaningful information from our metadata.

I still think that standardise it will be a problem from adminstration
side and bothering for the developers. Even it is a small group that
will end up being the push rights, they can forget it and like.

> Gitweb and cgit usually show the author ID, and you have to look harder
> for the commit IDs.
>
> Also, "the kernel does this, why can't we" is a totally bogus argument:
>
> 1. If the kernel jumped off a cliff, would you too?
> 2. The kernel uses a pull model for development and people check IDs for
> some sanity before pulling. With the push model we're going for we don't
> have that luxury.
>
> Hope that clears some of this up.

It does but the push model will not be for everyone. Those with push
rights could have their mails in a whitelist in the update hook and
those be checked. If this person pulls from someone else, we trust
this person to check for those stupid mail/settings mistakes before
pushing it.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855