[oe] RFC: RW for otavio

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Jun 6 21:56:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 15:02 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Ok, seems people are convinced this is a good idea.
>
> Otavio, please send your mtn and ssh keys to
> Koen <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> and me <mlauer at vanille-media.de>.

I have no objection to Otavio having access so please don't
misunderstand this email in that regard. This is more a general issue I
want to raise.

What I'd like to see is some kind of code of conduct for developers,
particularly new ones to ensure changes get appropriate review and we
don't see cause any conflict.

As guidelines:

* Changes to class files need review on the mailing list
* Changes to more global .conf files need review (e.g. bitbake.conf)
* Changes to core toolchain components need review (gcc, binutils,
  libtool, pkgconfig, automake, autoconf etc.)
* Machine configs are less sensitive but machine maintainers should be
  consulted where present and known
* Distro config changes should be reviewed by the distro maintainers
  where known
* Recipe changes are less sensitive but maintainers should be consulted
  where known

The point here is to let people build up gradually. Changing the core
infrastructure can influence a lot of people and whilst I don't want to
discourage people hacking on it, we do need to take more care on those
changes than ones in "lower" level recipes. I'm fairly sure most of the
devs know and respect this, I just wonder if having some kind of more
formal policy written down would be a good idea so people know where
they stand?

Opinions?

Cheers,

Richard