[oe] Switching SCM to git and commit/review policy

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Fri Jun 13 21:00:36 UTC 2008

Holger Freyther <zecke at selfish.org> writes:

> On Friday 13 June 2008 20:38:23 Otavio Salvador wrote:
>
>> I don't know how kernel people do to amend the patch to add the
>> acked-by/whatever data into each patch. It can be a big amount of work
>> to do an iteractive rebase for every ack given on ml for each patch
>> and with a high risk of human mistake while doing it.
>
> For (qt)webkit we have a script to merge a git branch. It is amending the
> commit with such a line. To grab patches from the ML one could use
> git-am/git-apply and then use the script to merge/cherry-pick the changes.

Yes, if it's done using maintainers, it works fine. Since you can add
the --signoff but if we don't have this kind of workflow it'll be a
big hassle to be done.

In linux I guess most maintainers grab the patches from ml and use
git-am -s to apply them. This makes easy for them ... in our case, if
we don't communicate thought ml, add sign-of-by can be difficult since
we'd need to do it patch by patch.

>From my POV, the policy could be:

 - individual patches / small patchsets should go throught ml; someone
   at OE core team could apply them and use git-am -s for it

 - big changes should be done using external trees; people discuss the
   patches using ml but a pull request should be done and merged by
   someone at OE core team

 - an oe-next tree could be done that grabs from usual contributors
   and merge daily to check for conflicts and warn the developers
   (mostly the same concept of linux-next)

What people think about that?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855