[oe] Switching SCM to git and commit/review policy

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Mon Jun 16 11:10:42 UTC 2008

Otavio Salvador wrote:
>  - an oe-next tree could be done that grabs from usual contributors
>    and merge daily to check for conflicts and warn the developers
>    (mostly the same concept of linux-next)

This is an extension of an idea from Florian Boor, which at first I was
sceptical about, but which I'd like to put out here in the open because
I can start to see how it might work.  It also has the potential to
reconcile "no human intervention/automation" with "maximum review possible".

We have a stable tree which remains as is.  We create an unstable tree
which is where stuff is being committed to.  There is a review period of
say 2 days after which changes from .unstable are automatically moved to
.dev unless there is an objection from a developper.  NACK'ed changesets
need to be flagged as such to prevent them from moving from .unstable to
 .dev

This is very similar and inspired by the Debian release process
(unstable -> testing -> stable).  The big difference is that we are
dealing with code changesets where debian's objects are released binary
packages.

Would that be feasible and helpful?