[oe] Switching SCM to git and commit/review policy

Alain M. alainm at pobox.com
Tue Jun 24 14:01:23 UTC 2008

Hi, I am really new here but I have one suggestion:

Graeme Gregory escreveu:
>> We've not made any decisions on what the commit/review policy should be,
> I have been thinking on this and here is my suggestion.
>
> 1) OE-core - everything needed to get upto a successful glibc build
> completed so gcc, gcc-cross, binutils and support packages. Also most
> stuff in classes/. Breakages in these two areas are what hurts the most
> and the area we have the least manpower in.

I like this

> 2) OE-universe - all the other stuff, the recipes and distro configs.
> The stuff where breakage tends to be less painful we keep as is. With
> people not being afraid to got git-revert on stupid changes. Yes you do
> need to test building all users of a .inc file or patch when you change
> them.

Is it concievable this being divided by packages, or even groups of
packages? Somewhat like Linux packages... It would surely make reviews
simpler.

I have been impressed by the huge size of OpenEmbedded. But I don't
really understand it's inner workings enough to know if this is at all
possible, but it sounds desirable :)

> Anyway thats my 2p.
2p more...

Alain