[oe] Switching SCM to git and commit/review policy

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:48:05 UTC 2008

Hello all,

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Alain M. <alainm at pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am really new here but I have one suggestion:
> Graeme Gregory escreveu:
>> 1) OE-core - everything needed to get upto a successful glibc build
>> 2) OE-universe - all the other stuff, the recipes and distro configs.

Yes, but make this split only by means of convention, not in the scm
(name)space please.
Having a gentlemen's agreements that non-core developers should not
"commit changes to classes/conf and all the core packages (udev,
busybox, kernels)" is close to what we do nowadays and works fine.

I agree with Michael that intrusive changes should be done in branches.

My personal strong meaning is that we should first convert to GIT,
without changing our current policy TOO much.

Really, the change to GIT alone will already impact the productivity
negatively, due to the dip in the developer commits resulting from
that (people setting up their environment and workflow instead of
maintaining stuff).
If we crawled back up, let's improve on things.

For later, -next is a good idea to merge new branches first, and see
where the autobuilder/tests fail, and nack stuff if it got broken

Regards,
--
Leon