[oe] AVR32 + OpenEmbedded: Problems with uclibc-initial do_populate_staging ()

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Mar 5 21:59:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 14:58 -0600, Geoffrey Wossum wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2008 02:43:41 pm Richard Purdie wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 13:49 -0600, Geoffrey Wossum wrote:
> > > I'm working on getting OpenEmbeddded to build for an AVR32 system.  Right
> > > now I'm using an AT32STK1000, although eventually I'll be running on
> > > custom hardware.
> > >
> > > I've been having problems getting past the uclibc-initial (0.9.28).  I
> > > get an error when it attempts do_populate_staging().  Here's the error
> > > I've been getting.
> >
> > I think both your fixes are correct. Those changes were already made in
> > poky but had got lost somewhere between there and OE.dev, I'll sync them
> > up. Thanks for the report and let us know if anything doesn't work after
> > I merge them.
>
> I ended up getting an error much later on in the build process, while
> executing do_install() for uclibc (0.9.28).  ld couldn't find crt1.o while
> executing the "make install_dev install_runtime" step.  ld wants crt1.o in
> the cross directory.  Sorry, didn't save the exact error message.
>
> I got around this by defining UCLIBC_PREFIX to what it was before
> ("${CROSS_DIR}/${TARGET_SYS}"), and then adding the following to the top of
> uclibc.inc's do_install():
>
> 	oe_runmake PREFIX= DEVEL_PREFIX=${UCLIBC_STAGE_PREFIX}/ \
> 		RUNTIME_PREFIX=${UCLIBC_STAGE_PREFIX}/ \
> 		install_dev install_runtime
>
> This is essentially what was there before.  With this in place, I get much
> further.
>
> It almost feels like the patch a week ago to uclibc.inc needed some patches to
> binutils-cross or something to go with it...
>
> Now the build stopped while building ncurses-native_5.4.  Patch didn't apply
> properly...

Which distro and machine are you using? This sounds like something which
isn't using sysroot or the sysroot workarounds.

Poking around cross hasn't been needed for a while and instead of the
above, building "cross-linkage" might help. This was removed from the
linux-libc-headers DEPENDS recently. You may also need
"staging-linkage", it all depends on the compiler though and if its
sysroot capable, enabling that would be infinitely preferable.

Regards,

Richard