[oe] AVR32 + OpenEmbedded: Problems with uclibc-initial do_populate_staging ()

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Mar 7 23:33:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 16:56 -0600, Geoffrey Wossum wrote:
> Checking the log.do_configure for gcc-cross-initial, --with-sysroot was NOT
> getting passed to gcc's configure script.
>
> So I started parsing gcc-cross-initial_4.1.2.bb by hand.  Here's what it looks
> like is happening to me.  Eventually, gcc3-build-cross.inc gets required in.
> This file will set EXTRA_OECONF to have the "--with-sysroot" option.  But a
> little later, gcc-cross-initial.inc gets required in.  This file resets
> EXTRA_OECONF, so the "--with-sysroot" option added by gcc3-build-cross.inc
> gets lost.
>
> I attempted to just swap the order of "require gcc-cross_${PV}.bb"
> and "require gcc-cross-initial.inc" in gcc-cross-initial_4.1.2.bb.  Doing
> a "bitbake -c rebuild gcc-cross-initial" built the gcc-cross-initial with the
> proper "--with-sysroot" option.  Hooray!  But then when I tried to resume
> building the image, this swap made the overall build system think
> that "avr32-gcc-initial-4.1.2" wasn't available.  Back to the drawing board.
>
> So then I changed gcc-cross-initial.inc to append onto EXTRA_OECONF instead of
> setting EXTRA_OECONF.  This seems to work for me now, although I don't know
> what other implications this change may have.

I was meaning to ask what changed you'd have to make to get your image
to build.

By strange coincidence I was looking at gcc-cross-initial today and
wondered about this. I concluded that gcc-cross-initial does not need
sysroot support though. gcc-cross-initial is only used to build the libc
for gcc-cross "proper" and for that you don't need anything in staging.

So the question is why would gcc-cross-initial need to find things in
staging?

Cheers,

Richard