[oe] AVR32 + OpenEmbedded: Problems with uclibc-initial do_populate_staging ()

Geoffrey Wossum geoffrey at pager.net
Fri Mar 7 23:46:46 UTC 2008

On Friday 07 March 2008 05:33:20 pm Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 16:56 -0600, Geoffrey Wossum wrote:
> > Checking the log.do_configure for gcc-cross-initial, --with-sysroot was

> I was meaning to ask what changed you'd have to make to get your image
> to build.
>
> By strange coincidence I was looking at gcc-cross-initial today and
> wondered about this. I concluded that gcc-cross-initial does not need
> sysroot support though. gcc-cross-initial is only used to build the libc
> for gcc-cross "proper" and for that you don't need anything in staging.
>
> So the question is why would gcc-cross-initial need to find things in
> staging?

I'm using currently uClibc 0.9.28.  glibc doesn't currently support the AVR32.
It's during uclibc-initial-0.9.28's do_populate_staging() step that this
whole sysroot issue pops up.  Something about that step causes something to
get linked, and that's when you the problem occurs.  I recreated the problem
today.  Should have saved the log.

Maybe uClibc 0.9.29 fixes this issue.  I need to move to it anyway.  Koen
suggested it as a fix for my init segfault issue, plus I think avahi needs
it, and I need avahi in my final product.

It looks like Atmel's AVR32 patches for uClibc 0.9.29 are already in
OpenEmbedded.  Looks like I just need to create a uClibc.machine file for the
AVR32.  I'll try out building against uClibc 0.9.29 on Monday.

---
Geoffrey