[oe] htcuni.patch generic for all devices?

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon Mar 10 10:55:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 11:22 +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Junqian Gordon Xu wrote:
> > htcuni.patch is not clean in .dev and breaks linux-rp_2.6.24 for all
> > devices. My questions is why this patch was applied to all devices in
> > thefirst place. Shouldn't this patch be put under the htcuniversal
> > section, regardless if it's broken or not?
>
> I am not a HTC Universal user, so I cannot test its function, but from
> aspect of other devices, it looks clean and does not break my Zaurus
> kernel.
>
> Consequent reject in another patch sharpsl-rc is another problem,
> trivial to fix.
>
> Richard, what is your opinion? Do you prefer device specific patch sets
> or making all clean enough patches generic?

I favour making clean generic patches which are applied on all machines.
Anything intending to head for mainline needs to cope with this and the
patches are in linux-rp are mainly intended for mainline.

I know I didn't do that with the tosa checkin but I do hope to find time
to resolve that soon :)

I will try and test out the status of 2.6.24 and fix the various issues
I'm aware of today.

Cheers,

Richard