[oe] Reconsidering the work flow and how the SCM system fits in

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl
Tue Mar 11 12:38:45 UTC 2008

Holger Freyther schreef:
| On Tuesday 11 March 2008 12:21:03 Koen Kooi wrote:
|> Holger Freyther schreef:

|> |
|> | Non content conflict. ugh! What to do now?
|>
|> Since the delta between the two branches is not more than a few
|> days/revisions it's easy to find out what happened and move conflict out
|> of the way in your branch, finish the merge and if needed reapply a diff
|> needed.
|
| You can not make this assumption of few days/revs and even in a few
days/revs
| one can create many non content conflicts.
| Move the conflict out means:
| 	-Finding the file with mtn au
| 	-Moving it on one side of the branch
| 	-Comitting it
| 	-Merge again and then are done or back to the first item for each non
content
| conflict. This adds artificial history, is complicated and stupid and
all my
| monkeys are busy doing stuff so I would have to do this...
|
| I want something were this is easy to do. With git I know it is
possible (if
| you know to use git-mergetool....). With mtn it is not hard, it is
| impossible, so I can not use branches with mtn nor encourage anyone to
do so.
| Specially with my webkit development in a git you start to love cheap,
short
| lived feature branches.
|

|> The non-content conflict handling is absolutely atrocious in monotone,
|> and the monotone devs aren't doing anything to make it easier (they
|> changed the error message to offer some more test) because they never
|> have such conflicts. Which stinks, because we *do* have them.
|

| Small excercise: try to merge .dev with .dreambox with mtn and git,
see which
| one is barfing out with non obvious error messages (hint: in this case
it is
| mtn)

Actually, it's git, since you can't store empty directories, and we have
those in OE :)

I see your point and I think we should switch scm, but I also want you
to be aware of the 'cvs idiots' we have in our developer group, that
will break stuff with any DSCM we choose.

And I still for for hg, which every developer has installed already,
since we all tested it in the previous round of SCM discussion, haven't we?

regards,

Koen