[oe] Git versus Hg

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Thu Mar 13 10:57:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 09:58 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Philip Balister schreef:
> | Given the only serious contenders for possible SCM's for OE appear to be
> | git or Hg, I am curious about the expertise level available on this list.
>
> A big problem with git:
>
> * it cannot import a flat OE repository (e.g a mtn checkout of .dev)
> * it cannot import a OE repo with history (e.g with mtn2git)
>
> Why? Git can't store empty dirs, and we use that in a few key places in
> OE. Holger 'solved' that in mtn2git by putting in a lot .dummy files
> into those dirs, but those will end up in your packages and rootfses.

Just for reference this is a problem already seen by people trying to
use OE metadata in things like svn. I've given this some through from
the svn PoV in the past and removing the files from the packages and
rootfses should just be a case of handling the files in do_unpack which
is what actually does the file copying.

Cheers,

Richard