[oe] Git versus Hg

pHilipp Zabel philipp.zabel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 11:27:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Koen Kooi
<koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:

>  Philip Balister schreef:
>
> | Given the only serious contenders for possible SCM's for OE appear to be
>  | git or Hg, I am curious about the expertise level available on this list.
>
>  A big problem with git:
>
>  * it cannot import a flat OE repository (e.g a mtn checkout of .dev)
>  * it cannot import a OE repo with history (e.g with mtn2git)
>
>  Why? Git can't store empty dirs, and we use that in a few key places in
>  OE. Holger 'solved' that in mtn2git by putting in a lot .dummy files
>  into those dirs, but those will end up in your packages and rootfses.

Unrelated to the SCM discussion, do we need those empty directories at all?

$ find -type d -empty
./_MTN/tmp
./packages/dbus/dbus-python
./packages/xhost
./packages/gcc/gcc-4.1.0
./packages/xmodmap
./packages/netbase/netbase/if-up.d
./packages/netbase/netbase/if-pre-up.d
./packages/netbase/netbase/if-post-down.d
./packages/netbase/netbase/if-down.d
./packages/netbase/netbase/ghi270
./packages/xproto
./packages/xrandr
./packages/linux/linux-openmoko-devel
./packages/xrdb
./packages/sqlite/sqlite3-3.4.1
./packages/sqlite/sqlite3-3.3.17
./packages/kismet/kismet-2007-10-R1
./packages/xprop
./packages/tslib/tslib-1.0
./packages/xset
./packages/xfonts

Except for the netbase directories, they look like leftovers to me.

regards
Philipp