[oe] iwmmxt optimization and soft float in OE on PXA270

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 22:52:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Hasjim Williams
<openembedded-devel at lists.futaris.org> wrote:

>  On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:46:15 +0100, "Stanislav Brabec" <utx at penguin.cz>
>  said:
>
> > Hasjim Williams wrote:
>  >
>  > > You won't be able to use iwmmxt with everything.  The unwind / exception
>  > > support for iwxmmt isn't there in gcc.  Anything using C++ exceptions
>  > > won't work correctly.
>  >
>  > So plain C binaries (e. g. kernel) are OK? And
>  > c++ -march=iwmmxt -fno-exceptions as well?
>
>  You can try this for C++ with -fno-exceptions, but I've never tried
>  it...
>

>  > > I could write/test these patches, I guess, but the only PXA270 machine
>  > > that I have access to is a HTC Magician (XDA Mini).
>  >
>  > It would be very nice. I could test them on my Zaurus, if you send me
>  > some C++ testcase (or name of application to test it on).
>
>  It'd be good if you could run the tests, before we generate the
>  patches...
>
>  gcc has a built in testcase system, dejagnu:
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/dejagnu/2006-04/msg00008.html explains
>  how to set it up and run it.
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/test.html and
>
>  e.g. FROM:
>  openembedded/build/tmp/work/armv4t-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/gcc-cross-4.1.2-r13/gcc-4.1.2/build.i686-linux.arm-angstrom-linux.arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi
>  $ make check-gcc RUNTESTFLAGS="normal.exp --target_board=pxa270-linux"
>
>  I think the C++ support you're looking to test is in "normal.exp" .  You
>  should get a gcc.log and gcc.sum at the end, saying what tests
>  passed/failed.
>
>  $ make check
>  Will do a complete test of everything, and will probably take at least 8
>  hrs - day on a pxa270, I would think.
>
>  You'll only need dropbear or some other ssh server, so even a
>  minimal-image should be enough on your pxa27x machine.

yeah and also setup a passwordless entry into the target from host.
Otherwise it will ask for password everytime
it wants to talk to target. Dropbear asks for return carriage key for
empty passwords too. I havent figured to disable that
openssh works.

Khem