[oe] iwmmxt optimization on PXA270 (dejagnu test report)

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Sun Mar 23 18:01:33 UTC 2008

Hasjim Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:46:15 +0100, "Stanislav Brabec"
> <utx at penguin.cz>
> said:

> > > I could write/test these patches, I guess, but the only PXA270 machine
> > > that I have access to is a HTC Magician (XDA Mini).
> >
> > It would be very nice. I could test them on my Zaurus, if you send me
> > some C++ testcase (or name of application to test it on).
>
> It'd be good if you could run the tests, before we generate the
> patches...

I tested gcc-4.2.2-r6 with -march=iwmmxt -mcpu=iwmmxt -mtune=iwmmxt on
my image compiled for iwmmxt.

Results seems to be promising. 99.99% tests passed. Results for Fortran
are invalid (I had not libgfortran in the system). Surprisingly, all
g++.dg/eh (exception handling) tests PASSed.

Profiling tests has some problems - file is generated with different
suffix than expected.

Details:

                === gcc Summary ===
# of expected passes            40740
# of unexpected failures        15
  It consists of (my guess):
  probably real failure         4 (1 file, 4 flags)
  missing file in testsuite     11
# of expected failures          84
# of unresolved testcases       23
# of untested testcases         28
# of unsupported tests          394

                === g++ Summary ===
# of expected passes            13403
# of unexpected failures        20
  It consists of (my guess):
  missing file in testsuite     14
  internal compiler error       4 (2 errors, 2 subsequent failures)
  probably real failure         2
# of unexpected successes       1
# of expected failures          66
# of unresolved testcases       28
# of unsupported tests          133

For complete report see:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/temp/testsuite/

I may re-run tests for armv5 to see whether there is any regression for
iwmmxt.

> > The last missing thing - iwmmxt support in qemu - was already written by
> > Andrzej Zaborowski.
>
> Is this "qemu-pxa270-and-more.patch" or is there something newer?  Has
> this been put into OE's buildtree?

It should be. But it seems, that in latest qemu-0.9.1, these patches are
present, but iwmmxt files are not compiled.

> NB, Not sure what you're using to profile the speedups, but there is:

I did not yet tried to profile the code. I only did measurements of
decoding time of video by MPlayer.

Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus