[oe] [RFC] move to opkg

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl
Sun Mar 23 11:02:13 UTC 2008

Mike (mwester) schreef:
| Here's what I've found out: There is no such thing as a
| "PREFERRED_VERSION" or "PREFERRED_PROVIDER" solution for this ipkg/opkg
| problem.  A simple grep tells us why (some random lines I picked out of
| the output from grep):
|
| classes/image.bbclass:          echo "src/gz local-$arch
| ${FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI}/$arch" >>
| ${IMAGE_ROOTFS}/etc/opkg/local-$arch-feed.conf
| classes/rootfs_ipk.bbclass:                     opkg-cl ${IPKG_ARGS}
| flag unpacked `basename $i .postinst`
|
| etc, etc -- it's pretty clear that opkg is hardcoded all over the place.

And that used to be ipkg hardcoded all over the place.

| So it seems that everyone *MUST* comply, and migrate to opkg -- unless
| you want to just freeze your distro on an old version of OE.

Or use the stable branch? The stable branch seems to fit your needs:
It's available, it's maintained and changes can only go in through a
public and open review process.

| Now after several hours trying to figure out what to do with this opkg
| stuff, it seems that there's something that is supposed to make
| compatability possible, although there are no documents anywhere on this
| .  So I added opkg-ipkg-compat to task-slugos.bb, and bumped the PR.

opkg-ipkg-compat is to make opkg work on an ipkg system, not the other
way around. What you are after is something that symlinks /usr/lib/opkg
- -> /usr/lib/ipkg, /etc/opkg -> /etc/ipkg, adds opkg to PACKAGE_REMOVE
(like in liveramdisk-image.bb) etc

| A) Where are the docs on opkg?

Mickeyl sent a mail to this list about that over a month ago.

| B) How does one modify distros to live in the new world order that's
| been decreed?

Dunno, that's up to the distro maintainer. I can only say "look at poky"
or "look at angstrom"

| And in the long term:
| How do we go about setting up fixing all this opkg stuff so that we
| properly abstract it, allowing a distro to select ipkg, opkg, upkg, and
| sometimes-ypkg that they desire?

You mean something like ANGSTROM_PKG_FORMAT angstrom has?

I believe these sorts of problems stem from the fact that you don't have
the time to keep up with the pace of .dev, so I really think distros
like unslung are better of using the stable branch, instead of wasting
energy trying to keep up with .dev.
That being said, I don't think OE developers sit at their desks trying
to thinks how to make life difficult for distro maintainer.

Koen