[oe] bp flag added to bug tracker (org.openembedded.stable)

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Wed May 7 13:35:56 UTC 2008

Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> Hello Koen,
>
> thank you for the answer.
>
> Koen Kooi wrote:
>> That isn't a problem right now, since a patch requires review and
>> approval on the stable-branch *mailinglist*.
>
> Well, I guess it was clear this whole thing is about the possibility of
> circumventing that medium

Sorry, that wasn't clear to me, it took me a while to realise that 'bp'
means 'backport'. I thought you where cataloging bugs for Angstrom
developers to review, which I think is very cool. The thing is that "OE
stable branch patch process" is different from "Angstrom patch process",
even if it involves largely the same people. Ideally angstrom developers
review a patch and post a "ready to commit" one for review on the stable
branch mailinglist.
If you don't use angstrom, or even no distro at all, you post your
(hopefully "ready to commit") patch to the stablebranch mailinglist.
The main point is that your patch applies cleanly and has been tested
before you post it (unless it's an RFC).

> Let me ask a blunt question: Is there really any activity on the stable
> branch?

There hasn't been much traffic on the mailinglist lately since I was on
holiday and PaulS still is on holiday and Leon is swamped at work.
I am however currently cleaning up my patch queue to send them for
review, but I need to test things on actual devices first, which takes
time. I take "stable" seriously, sorry if that gets mistaken for sloth.

If you think you have patches that should get applied to the
stablebranch, please post them for review on the stablebranch
mailinglist. I can't speak for other developers, but I aim for a "same
day review" timeframe.

Sorry if I caused confusion about this.

regards,

Koen