[oe] Creating a pristine environment?

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Thu May 8 13:57:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Leon Woestenberg
<leon.woestenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  export TOPDIR="${OEDIR}/build/angstrom-2007.1"
>
>  A warning here, I have seen breakage with some environment variables.
>
>  I think TOPDIR is used by u-boot or some such.
>
>  Think of a better (more uniquer) namespace, such as OE_TOPDIR.

Good point.  TOPDIR is currently coded in bitbake:

./lib/bb/parse/parse_py/ConfHandler.py:    if not
bb.data.getVar('TOPDIR', data):
./lib/bb/parse/parse_py/ConfHandler.py:
bb.data.setVar('TOPDIR', os.getcwd(), data)
./lib/bb/build.py:        prevdir = data.expand('${TOPDIR}', d)

so, it won't be trivial to change without breaking existing build environments.

Thanks,
Cliff