[oe] [RFC] Stop on multiple providers but none explicitly specified

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Fri May 16 21:44:34 UTC 2008

Hello all,

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 20:51 +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
>>
>> However, is it intuitive from the *user's* point-of-view to have
>> BitBake make this decision?
>> I think not; at least in the case of OpenEmbedded, there is at least a
>> 50% chance this is not what the user intended.
>
> You're making this sound clear cut and its not quite that easy :).
> Firstly, 50% isn't a good figure, there is no limit to the number of
> different packages which provide a given target so it could be 33%, 25%
> or worse.

No in fact, the chance of making the wrong decision is 50%, 67%, 75%
(or worse) for n = 2, 3, 4 etc.

(but I think you meant this).

> Secondly, there often is a good default choice its just bitbake doesn't
> have the information to make it.

Well this is exactly my point; Let's give bitbake that information for
the remaining cases.

PROVIDER_PREFERENCE seems a bridge too far for me, but hey, any
solution that solves it is better then the current situation.

Regards,
--
Leon