[oe] [RFC] Stop on multiple providers but none explicitly specified

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Sat May 17 21:59:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 23:44 +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> > You're making this sound clear cut and its not quite that easy :).
> > Firstly, 50% isn't a good figure, there is no limit to the number of
> > different packages which provide a given target so it could be 33%, 25%
> > or worse.
> >
> No in fact, the chance of making the wrong decision is 50%, 67%, 75%
> (or worse) for n = 2, 3, 4 etc.

I was referring of to the chance of making the right decision so yes,
the chance of making the wrong decisions is the opposite and increases
with provider numbers.

> (but I think you meant this).
>
> > Secondly, there often is a good default choice its just bitbake doesn't
> > have the information to make it.
> >
> Well this is exactly my point; Let's give bitbake that information for
> the remaining cases.
>
> PROVIDER_PREFERENCE seems a bridge too far for me, but hey, any
> solution that solves it is better then the current situation.

Its the only solution I can see which addresses the problem but it does
further complicate the providers logic in bitbake which is already
painful and in need of rewriting :/. Other solutions welcome...

Cheers,

Richard