[oe] RFC: restart wiki from scratch

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Tue May 27 00:43:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Rolf Leggewie
<no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the openembedded website is in rather bad shape lately.  This includes
> the wiki which has both technical and content problems.  I suggest to
> start anew.
>
> I'd like to go with mediawiki instead this time for the simple reason
> that there are more of us who are actually familiar with this software
> both from an admin and a user perspective.  Mediawiki was the software
> for the OZ wiki which at its time wasn't doing too badly.
>
> Whatever we do, I think we should not allow the current state to exist
> much longer.

Agreed, we should do something.  While the current site with all the
plugins like file browsing is neat, I wonder if we would be better off
implementing the main site in a rock solid wiki that offers:

1) RSS feeds on changes
2) a decent recent changes page
3) SPAM protection and easy to revert spam.

I look at the sites like:
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
http://wiki.openzaurus.org/Main_Page
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

as good examples.

The wiki model is well understood, easy to use, and might be a good
foundation for a main site.

I'd be glad to assist where I can if man-power is needed on the setup
side of things.

Cliff