[oe] Building x86 base image.

Mikael Rosbacke mikael at rosbacke.org
Mon Nov 10 07:37:27 UTC 2008

Hello!

First time post here so go easy on the flames for obvious questions. ;-)

I'm trying to get familiar with open embedded with a plan of having a
good way of building distributions for small x86 based and arm based
embedded systems. So far, there has been a bumpy road.

I got the beagleboard image. Once I get some HW I'm gonna try it out
properly. But I've had more problems trying to get x86 working.

>From git head, I've tried to build the 'task-base' target using
DISTRO='minimal' and MACHINE='i586-generic'. (i686 failed on glibc-2.5,
epia failed on gcc 3.3.4)
I got a compilation error in a Linux kernel script file which could be
solved but then some other packet failed.

Checked out the stable branch and tried to build 'anstrom-2007.1' using
target 'task-base'. It failed on libxml2-native, which could be solved
by upgrading it 2.6.29 -> 2.6.31 but later failed on dbus-native 1.0.1.
Tried 1.0.3 version there but no use.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64 as host.

Now, the questions (finally):
Is there some known good distribution/target I could build for x86 using
my current host?

Is there some known good host to use to build the stable anstrom-2007.1
distribution? (or any other target)

When I find these issues, are they mostly well known stuff or should I
try to report them on this mailing list? Is there some guide for
preferred error reporting format?

Tnx in advance for any replies,

--- Mikael Rosbacke