[oe] preferred-provider at the image level a.k.a why is all this fso stuff in my non-fso image

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Wed Nov 26 18:40:19 UTC 2008

On 26-11-08 19:03, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 18:49 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
>> Conflicts: + Replaces: hits another bug in opkg, it will silently pick
>> 'fso-foo' over 'foo' when both are in deploy (e.g. build fso-image for
>> om-gta02 and x11-image-with-gpsd for om-gta01). We hit this problem when
>> the matchbox-*2 was added from poky.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  If fso-foo Conflicts,
> Replaces, and Provides foo, opkg would be basically correct to install
> the former rather than the latter package.  What exactly is the
> behaviour you're observing?

if fso-foo has

Conflicts: foo
Replaces: foo

but not

Provides: foo

opkg will always pick fso-foo when it's present in deploy, while you
want an image with foo.

The whole problem is that for some images I do *not* want to drag in
python, frameworkd and other things when I just want /usr/bin/apm or
/usr/bin/gpsd. But for fso-*-image I *do* want fso-gpsd and fso-apm.

If the fso stuff was API+ABI compatible and about the same size I
wouldn't care about this, but right now it's a ~5MiB difference, not to
mention the runtime speed penalty of needing a python interpreter.

regards,

Koen