[oe] preferred-provider at the image level a.k.a why is all this fso stuff in my non-fso image

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Wed Nov 26 19:00:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 19:40 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> if fso-foo has
>
> Conflicts: foo
> Replaces: foo
>
> but not
>
> Provides: foo
>
> opkg will always pick fso-foo when it's present in deploy, while you
> want an image with foo.

Are you sure that your package fso-foo really wants to Conflict: with
and Replace: foo without also Providing: it?  Although I don't think
there is any reason why this is inherently illegitimate, it is certainly
something of a fringe case and my first suspicion would be that this is
a packaging bug which is just happening to tickle an opkg bug and/or
misfeature.  I suspect opkg is taking a slightly harder line on this,
deciding that lack of Provides: in this case must certainly be a
packaging error, and proceeding as if that Provides: was present.  It's
debatable whether this is a desirable thing for it to be doing but,
irrespective of that, at least a part of the right answer is probably to
fix the offending packages.

p.