[oe] ETA on git conversion

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Wed Oct 8 23:47:07 UTC 2008

Holger Freyther wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 13:18:16 Koen Kooi wrote:
>
>> The old wiki had one, dunno if the new wiki overlords decided to move it
>> to the new wiki. Ask them.
>
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/GitPhraseBook
>
> is this any good?

Some comments (open for discussion before I change the wiki page):

> git clone git://git.openembedded.net/FIXME openembedded.git

Does it need to create openembedded.git as the directory name rather
than just openembedded?

> git config user.name "Your Name"
> git config user.mail "you at name"

Do we want to use the --global flag so that the scope of these commands
covers all git repos for that user and they don't forget to do it for
every new repo they clone?

> git commit --amend

Add a comment that this should only be done on commits that have not
been pushed anywhere, and should *never* be done on commits that have
been pushed to a public repo?

BTW, the git commands that I've been using for FSO work can be found in
the FSO Makefile at http://downloads.freesmartphone.org/Makefile

In particular, this is how I clone the OE trial git repo:

> .PHONY: setup-openembedded
> .PRECIOUS: openembedded/.git/config
> setup-openembedded openembedded/.git/config:
> 	[ -e openembedded/.git/config ] || \
> 	( git clone git://git.openembedded.net/org.openembedded.dev openembedded ; \
> 	  cd openembedded ; \
> 	  git config --add remote.origin.fetch '+refs/remotes/*:refs/remotes/*' )
> 	( cd openembedded && \
> 	  ( git branch | egrep -e ' org.openembedded.dev$$' > /dev/null || \
> 	    git checkout -b org.openembedded.dev --track origin/org.openembedded.dev ))
> 	( cd openembedded && git checkout org.openembedded.dev )
> 	touch openembedded/.git/config

Comments on that strategy are welcome.
Generic prejudices about Makefiles are not :-)

-- Rod