[oe] git and branches

Sledz, Steffen sledz at DResearch.DE
Thu Oct 9 09:39:18 UTC 2008

As an OE beginner I'm a bit confused with the different branches. Is there an overview about all the branches available in the new git system. I made some searches in wiki.openembedded.net but could not found really helpful info.

'git branch -r' lists these branches:

  origin/HEAD
  origin/master
  origin/org.openembedded.dev
  origin/org.openembedded.documentation
  origin/org.openembedded.dreambox
  origin/org.openembedded.entity
  origin/org.openembedded.stable
  origin/org.openmoko.april-update
  origin/org.openmoko.dev
  origin/org.openmoko.xora.qtopia
  origin/org.openmoko.zecke.april-update
  origin/org.openmoko.zecke.autotools-bustage
  origin/org.openmoko.zecke.random-breakage

<http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/DevelopmentBranches> lists these ones (without any description :( ):

  org.nslu2-linux.bitbake
  org.nslu2-linux.dev
  org.openembedded.dev
  org.openembedded.documentation
  org.openembedded.dreambox
  org.openembedded.oetest
  org.openembedded.oz354fam083
  org.openembedded.oz354x
  org.openembedded.packaged-staging
  org.openembedded.stable

'master' ist used as the default when getting the data with 'git clone git://git.openembedded.net/org.openembedded.dev' like described on <http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Git#OpenEmbedded_Git_repository>. But what branch is 'master'? And which branches should one use for which purposes?

Steffen