[oe] busybox recipe isappearances

Eliyahu Skoczylas EliSko at FastMail.fm
Thu Oct 23 10:12:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:39:22 +0200, "Florian Boor"
<florian.boor at kernelconcepts.de> said:
> Hi,
>
> Phil Blundell schrieb:
> > It's long been my view that we should just add newer ones and leave the
> > old ones alone.  There's really no reason to delete old recipes and,
> > even if you check for PREFERRED_VERSIONs in the git tree, there is no
> > real way to know who else might be relying on the version you are about
> > to delete.
>
> I share this opinion. Since we do not know what people are doing with OE
> there
> is no way to find out if a recipe is used or not. In fact I can imagine a
> lot of
> situations in which you might want to use an older recipe.
>
> Why do we delete old recipes? We do not do this with old software
> releases.

I think that a simple policy of retaining, say, the latest 3 or 4
recipes for the current version of a package, and the last 2 for the 2
earlier software versions, might make people's lives easier and also not
"clutter up" the directories with dozens of out-of-date / non-working
versions.  It shouldn't be hard to automate a policy like that, either.

-    Eliyahu
--
Eliyahu Skoczylas    +972 (54) 214-1505
If <EliSko at Eli-Sko.com> bounces, please use <EliSko at FastMail.fm>, instead.