[oe] libusb and libusb-compat: conflict

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Wed Sep 10 08:47:25 UTC 2008

Mike (mwester) wrote:
> There appears to be a conflict between libusb and libusb-compat -- both
> stage usr/lib/libusb.a.
>
> Many packages in OE use libusb-compat; some others use libusb.  I can't
> say why this conflict hasn't come up before -- perhaps its a build order
> thing that has just popped up on my system -- but attempting to link
> openocd or dfu-util (which DEPEND on libusb) against the libusb.a in
> staging will fail, if it was libusb-compat that was staged overtop of
> libusb.
>
> I think step one would be to put a "CONFLICTS" line in each of libusb
> and libusb-compat's bb files -- but I suspect that will break a lot of
> builds.  So I'll send an email out for comments and suggestions on how
> to handle this little problem.
>
> It would be good if people can check their tmpdirs to see if both libusb
> and libusb-compat are being built (libusb1 is fine - not the similarity
> in name).  How big a problem is this?

Some background: libusb1 is the rewrite of libusb which brings up
goodness as better performance and more powersaving, but its ABI is
incompatible with libusb. That is why the libusb people create
libusb-compat, it's a drop-in replacement for libusb.

When I added it to OE I made sure the runtime situation worked and
changed all packages to libusb-compat. It seems I missed a few.

It should be safe to change everything over to libusb-compat, unless
your favourite apps abuses private libusb API (as gnuradio does).

And there's no such thing as CONFLICTS in OE, only RCONFLICTS.

regards,

Koen