[oe] libusb and libusb-compat: conflict

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Wed Sep 10 11:24:02 UTC 2008

Koen Kooi wrote:
> Mike (mwester) wrote:
>> There appears to be a conflict between libusb and libusb-compat -- both
>> stage usr/lib/libusb.a.
>>
>> Many packages in OE use libusb-compat; some others use libusb.  I can't
>> say why this conflict hasn't come up before -- perhaps its a build order
>> thing that has just popped up on my system -- but attempting to link
>> openocd or dfu-util (which DEPEND on libusb) against the libusb.a in
>> staging will fail, if it was libusb-compat that was staged overtop of
>> libusb.
>>
>> I think step one would be to put a "CONFLICTS" line in each of libusb
>> and libusb-compat's bb files -- but I suspect that will break a lot of
>> builds.  So I'll send an email out for comments and suggestions on how
>> to handle this little problem.
>>
>> It would be good if people can check their tmpdirs to see if both libusb
>> and libusb-compat are being built (libusb1 is fine - not the similarity
>> in name).  How big a problem is this?
>
> Some background: libusb1 is the rewrite of libusb which brings up
> goodness as better performance and more powersaving, but its ABI is
> incompatible with libusb. That is why the libusb people create
> libusb-compat, it's a drop-in replacement for libusb.
>
> When I added it to OE I made sure the runtime situation worked and
> changed all packages to libusb-compat. It seems I missed a few.
>
> It should be safe to change everything over to libusb-compat, unless
> your favourite apps abuses private libusb API (as gnuradio does).
>
> And there's no such thing as CONFLICTS in OE, only RCONFLICTS.

Is there an easy way to select between the two? Until I get time to go
through the gnu radio code, I'm using a collection to keep the gnuradio
stuff in a state where it builds.

I would really like to get the gnuradio stuff working with libusb1,
since I suspect it would benefit from the upgrade :)

Philip