[oe] Finer granularity for RSUGGEST

Robert Schuster theBohemian at gmx.net
Tue Sep 23 09:31:09 UTC 2008

Henning Heinold schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> after fiddling with a filesystem kernel modul and his tools I noticed
> in package_ipk.bbclass that if we set RSUGGESTS Variable the suggest field
> in the ipk is set for all packages even -doc -dbg -dev and self defined
> packages.  I personal
> think is not a good choice and way. In my example the kernel module only needs
> to suggest the tools package. And with the old method the tools package suggest
> it self.
>
> I have prepared a patch for ipk and deb that let us set:
>
> ${PN}_RSUGGESTS = mooo
I do not think this is a good idea. You can have the same effect just
now by doing

RSUGGEST_${PN} = "mooo"

Currently if you set a variable that affects the binary package you know
it will end up in all of the binary packages declared in PACKAGES. E.g.
MAINTAINER, DESCRIPTION, LICENSE and so on.

You can easily prevent this by doing:

PACKAGES = "${PN} ${PN}-data"

LICENSE = "GPLv2"
LICENSE_${PN}-data = "CC-BY-SA"

Or am I missing an important point here?

Regards
Robert