[oe] Any N770s you are willing to spend?

Robert Schuster theBohemian at gmx.net
Tue Sep 23 14:40:47 UTC 2008

Hi,
in the past people here tend to ignore my posts regarding the dreaded
Nokia internet tablets. I hope this will be different this time. :|

This post targets those of you who own a N770 and have no use for it.

First things first: Nokia has made STM *publish* the *specs*[0] for the
STLC45xx wifi chipsets used in the N8x0 device series. This is nice and
will make many people happy. Still this leaves those owning the old N770
in the dust since those devices use the earlier STLC4370. Both chips are
actually variants of the P54 for which free drivers exist.

Nokia is also planning to release their 'dsme' program which manages the
tablets hardware (along with 'bme', which will AFAIK remain closed).

I think there have never been better times to get those tablets freed
than now. The nice folks from Mamona already have a nice distribution
which today gets stuffed with some proprietary parts and works on a
kernel from the stoneage (aka 2.6.16).

If you would be willing to donate your N770 to someone who wants to
write a driver for the stlc4370 please let me know.

Thanks!
Robert

[0] -
http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/specs?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=STSW45x0C_LMAC_API_ED1P4.pdf