[oe] DEPLOY_DIR / packaged staging / persistent toolchains

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Tue Apr 7 17:43:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 12:12:18PM +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just stumbled over something that surprises me. I have set DEPLOY_DIR
> outside TMP for a while (which works fine). Now when I remove the TMPDIR to
> start a new build from scratch, I can no longer build anything. Apparantly OE
> thinks I do no longer need a toolchain, since it does not attempt to built
> one. I need to remove the whole DEPLOY_DIR to be able to do any builds again.
>
> Wasn't the idea of packaged staging to be able to keep core packages and the
> toolchain intact when removing TMPDIR? If I understodd this wrong, how can I
> do something like that these days? Would it be sufficient to set CROSS_DIR
> outside TMPDIR?

Mickey,

Are you overwriting DEPLOY_DIR_PSTAGE from its default ${DEPLOY_DIR}/pstage?

Otherwise it should work and should populate CROSS_DIR from pstage. There is
one little quirk - if you don't have opkg in your system PATH, you may need to
remove opkg packages from pstage to force rebuilding and installing it. Its a
chicken and egg problem - opkg-native binary is in .ipk and in order to
install and use it you need opkg-native...

--
Denys